Friday, October 3, 2014

God Showed Us How to Love the "gods" among Us

It's not just the idea of an Atonement that resonates within me.  It's the combination of the idea that we really are gods in a very powerful way - and that we suck at it - but that it's OK - because one of us (another God) showed us that it's possible to hurt the gods around us less and less each day. He showed us a path to freedom - to become more than our nature - to be godly - to be gods.

As much as I see the Atonement in other ways, I see the Atonement as the power that under-girds our morality and over-rides our natural mortality and teaches us that we really can be and become more than just smart animals. To me, in a very real way, it says:

It's OK if you aren't the fittest animal in the pack. It's OK if you suffer for innumerable reasons. It's OK if life's not fair and just and equitable. It's OK. It's OK. It's OK. Peace I leave with you, my child.

I really don't care about the exact "nature" of the Atonement, but I care DEEPLY about the message I take from it.

There are lots of things in this life that suck, including me sometimes, but, in the end . . .

It's OK.

1 comment:

Richard Alger said...

"it's possible to hurt the gods around us less and less each day"

What a message of hope.